A new Pokemon game means new shiny Pokemon to find!
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet do have shiny Pokemon running free in the wild for players to find and capture, but it’s a little more tricky than expected. Shiny Pokemon aren’t always apparent in the overworld, making it easy to run past them, and they’re extremely rare.
Shiny Locked Pokemon
Not all Pokemon in the latest games can be shiny, there are some that are locked in the normal variant.
- Starters – It’s not possible to get a shiny starter Pokemon in these games
- All in-game trades with NPCs
- Koraidon and Miraidon
- All sub-legendary Pokemon
- Gimmighoul chest form
- Titan Pokemon
- Galarian Meowth gift
Outside of the above list, all wild Pokemon have a low chance of being shiny.
How to Naturally find Shiny Pokemon
In Pokemon Legends Arceus, there was a distinctive sound in the overworld, but it isn’t in Scarlet or Violet. Shiny Pokemon can be visible in the overworld while running around, but most are not obvious. The difference can be very slight, which makes it easy not to notice them.
The most consistent method to check if a Pokemon is shiny is to throw out a Pokemon to walk around with. Pressing ZR will throw out the first Pokemon in the party, who will follow you around and autobattle wild Pokemon. Your Pokemon will not autobattle a Shiny Pokemon.
How to tell if a Wild Pokemon is Shiny
Most shiny Pokemon in Scarlet and Violet are not apparent in the overworld. There are visual differences, but many Pokemon only have a slight difference or are very small, making them hard to see. Here’s how to see if a Pokemon is shiny:
- Press ZR to throw out a Pokemon to run around in the overworld; they will not autobattle Shiny Pokemon
- Visual differences, these are easier to spot if other Pokemon of the same species are around
- Pokemon will be sparkly when you battle it
- After capturing it, there will be a special Shiny icon in its summary
What are the odds of finding a Shiny Pokemon?
The odds of finding a wild Shiny Pokemon is 1/4096, but with the Shiny Charm, those odds decrease to 1/2048. There is currently a limited exploit that should allow you to catch a Shiny in under 60 minutes.
The Masuda Method also increases the chance of hatching a Shiny Pokemon from an egg. Breeding Pokemon from two different regional copies in the game decreases the odd to 1/683, but if you have a Shiny Charm, this drops to 1/512.
How to Catch a Shiny Pokemon in 60 Minutes
This exploit has been proven to help players find and catch wild Shiny Pokemon in under 60 minutes. This seems to be the most consistent method, but the time it takes can vary. With this, some players can catch multiple Shiny Pokemon per hour, while others report only getting one.
This exploit works by forcing the game to generate new Pokemon, drastically increasing the chance of getting a shiny. While it’s not required, it’s advised you have at least one Pokemon with the move “False Swipe”. Using False Swipe will always leave the target with 1HP, which is perfect for catching Pokemon.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open your map and find a mass Pokemon outbreak in your area – This means finding the icon on your map with a blinking red symbol. The blinking red symbol means that the icon is for a mass Pokemon outbreak of that species. Without the light, the icon just means you can find that species within a close radius.
- Defeat 60 Pokemon – Knocking out 60 Pokemon within the mass outbreak will reduce the shiny spawn rate to 1/1365 instead.
- Set up a picnic table and close it again – Setting up a picnic table will make the outbreak Pokemon despawn, which is vital. Leaving the picnic will cause those Pokemon to respawn. Doing this resets the spawn for dozens of Pokemon at once, which refreshes your odds of finding a Shiny Pokemon each time.
- Repeat Step 3 – After running around the area and seeing no Shiny Pokmon, you need to set the picnic table up again, then take it back down. Repeating this enough times will produce a Shiny Pokemon.
Using this method will make it much more likely to find at least one Shiny Pokemon within 60 minutes. It doesn’t require a Shiny Charm, a special Shiny rate-boosting sandwich, or any preparation.
This method isn’t perfect
If an outbreak happens somewhere you can’t place a picnic table, then there’s no way to use this method. This is also reliant on a mass outbreak in your local area and finding one might take a little while. On top of this, you need to find a Pokemon outbreak for something you actually want to catch. If you’re only looking to get a specific Shiny Pokemon, then you might be out of luck.